|Jefferson County - Ordinances
This goJefferson.com Web presentation of these public documents is Copyright 1999 Syndesis Corporation.
Chapter 5. ADMINISTRATOR
5.01 AUTHORITY AND PURPOSE. This resolution is adopted pursuant to s. 59.033 Wisconsin Stats. (as amended by Chapter 214, Laws of 1969) to provide full-time administrative assistance to the County Board of Supervisors and others.
5.02 POSITION CREATED. There is hereby created the position of County Administrator who shall serve as an agent of the Board in the performance of the duties and the exercise of the powers delegated by the Board through this resolution or pursuant hereto.
5.03 APPOINTMENT AND TERM. The County Administrator shall be appointed by majority vote of the County Board for an indeterminate term. The County Board may remove the County Administrator at any time and engage a successor.
5.04 COMPENSATION. The County Board shall fix the compensation of the County Administrator.
5.05 POWERS AND DUTIES. The County Administrator is hereby delegated the following powers and duties:
(1) Coordinate and direct by administrative order or otherwise all administrative and management functions of the County government not otherwise vested by law in boards or commissions or in other elected officers.
(2) Appoint the heads of all departments of the County except those elected by the people and except where the statutes provide that the appointment shall be made by a board or commission or by other elected officers; but he shall also appoint all department heads where the law provides that the appointment shall be made by the Chairman of the County Board or by the County Board. Such appointments shall require the confirmation of the County Board. The County Administrator may file with the County Board charges for the removal, discharge or suspension of any person so appointed.
(3) Appoint the members of all boards and commissions where the statutes provide that such appointment shall be made by the County Board or the Chairman of the County Board. All appointments to boards and commissions by the County Administrator shall be subject to the confirmation of the County Board.
(4) Administer the County Personnel Ordinance as presently constituted and as may be hereafter modified by the Board.
(5) Administer the Purchasing Ordinance as presently constituted and as may be hereafter modified by the Board.
(6) Assist various County departments, agencies and officials in the preparation of an annual operating and capital improvement budget and prepare a budget message describing the budget submitted to the Board for its consideration.
(7) Attend and assist in regular and special sessions of the Board and, whenever feasible, attend and assist in meetings of duly constituted committees, boards and commissions.
(8) Study procedures pertaining to personnel, purchasing and finance and recommend to the Board such changes and improvements as may be appropriate.
(9) Carry out such other duties as the Board may from time to time direct.
5.06 VACANCY. A vacancy in the office of County Administrator by reason of removal, resignation or other cause shall be filled by appointment by majority vote of the County Board.
5.07 QUALIFICATIONS. The County Administrator shall be a person qualified by education and experience for government administration. The County Administrator shall maintain an office in the Courthouse and shall be engaged in his duties as County Administrator during regular Courthouse hours. The County Administrator shall not be engaged in any other employment or business during his term of office.